Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Jambalaya..My Version

Jambalaya..
”My Version”

I’d like to start out by saying, I’m not Creole and if I offend anyone for slaughtering this down home dish, I’m sorry. This is my version and since I do live in Louisiana now, it’s time for me to take a stab making some of the native cuisines.
There are many types of Jambalaya, and even Pastalaya, with different bases, meats, etc. Jambalaya is a Louisiana Creole dish of Spanish and French influence.
Through three or four trial and errors, I’ve compiled my favorite.

Ingredients:



  • 1 Bell Pepper - Diced (I don't like bell pepper, so I put mine in the food processor to fine dice.)


  • 5 Stalks of Celery - Diced


  • 1 Large Onion - Diced


  • 1 Bunch of Flat Leaf Parsley


  • 1 Package of Smoke Sausage


  • 1 Pound of Gulf Shrimp


  • 1 Large Chicken Breast


  • 1 TBSP (adjust to your taste) Tony's Cajun Seasoning  (not pictured)


  • 1 Large Can of Diced Tomatoes


  • 1 Medium Can of Tomato Sauce


  • 2 1/2 Cups Chicken Broth


  • 2 1/2 Cups Rice (I use  1 1/2 cups white, 1 cup brown) I also use Minute Rice.  Traditional recipes call for long grain rice, but I just don't have the time.

 I use a huge cast iron skillet (14 inch) to make my Jambalaya.  


1.   Start out by browning the sausage. The sausage has enough oil in it that you won't have to add any additional oil. If you find that isn't the case, add a little canola or even olive oil.
 
2.   When sausage is browned, add celery, onion, pepper, and cubed chicken breast.  Cook until the chicken is browned and veggies are translucent.

  
3.    Add can of tomatoes, tomato sauce, half of parsley, chicken broth, Tony's seasoning, and rice.  Stir well.  Cook until the rice is tender and "most" of the juice/stock is absorbed.


5.    Add shrimp and remaining parsley the last 5-7 minutes of cooking.

Serve with Louisiana Hot Sauce 

We love this dish and now make if for everyone that comes and visits.  It's definitely the best on day 2 or 3!! Hope you enjoy:)



2 comments:

  1. I need to try this. I really don't know the difference, so it's all Louisiana native to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let e just say...this dish is AWESOME...J made it for me on our visit and I've been craving it ever since so I will be making it too!!!!

    ReplyDelete